Today I have the honor of interviewing the lovely and talented Kristine Raymond. I had a great time picking her brain and learning more about her writing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
a) I’m a hopefully middle-aged, married woman who lives in Kentucky with my wonderful husband and lots of furry, four-legged children. And I write. Nothing much more exciting than that.
2. What do you do when you are not writing?
a) Promote my books, make teasers, make swag, attend signings…you get the picture. Right now, almost all of my spare time is spent doing something book-related.
3. Do you have a day job as well?
a) I do. I work part-time. I have great admiration for the authors who work full-time jobs and also publish. I have a hard enough time doing on my schedule.
4. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
a) I wrote my first word Labor Day weekend of 2013. I finished Here to Stay eighteen days later.
5. How did you choose the genre you write in?
a) I’ve always loved the Old West. I grew up watching westerns on T.V., and even lived in Arizona for a few years. There’s something about that time period that excites me, so it was kind of natural for me to write about it.
6. What does your protagonist think about you? Would he or she want to hang out with you, the author, his creator?a) I never really thought about it. I would hope that all of my protagonists would like me and the personalities that I created for them. As far as hanging out with me, well sure! Who wouldn’t? lol
7. Where do you get your ideas?
a) I don’t know. And I’m not answering this glibly; I really don’t know. They just come to me. I’ll think about a character and what they might do in a certain situation, and then I’ll expand from there.
8. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
a) All the time! Too often for my liking.
9. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
a) I have a general idea of what the story will be about but then I just write. I let the characters take me where they want to be, even if that means that my original idea changes.
10. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
a) I think that all books have influenced me, whether I liked them or not. The written word is fascinating to me. It can create such magnificent ideas and adventures in the mind.
11. Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
a) The biggest challenge was believing in myself enough to actually do it. The rest was just like anything else new…you learn as you go.
12. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
a) As far as publishing it, no. The story itself I could probably re-write ten times and still not be completely satisfied. There are always new ideas that come to me where I say, “I should have had the character do this or say that.” It’s no good second-guessing your work. You have to have confidence that the story you wrote was the best it could be at that time.
13. How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
a) I’m still trying to find the best ways to market, and I’m not even sure that there is a ‘best’ way. Marketing, like anything else, is fluid and you have to be willing to adapt to the changes. I do a lot of promoting on social media, and attend books signings throughout the year to try and expose myself and my books to different audiences.
14. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
a) Nope, not yet. And since I anticipate self-publishing all of my books, I don’t think that it will be a problem.
15. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
a) Dancing in the Dark, book six in the Hidden Springs series, is Rusty’s story. He’s been a minor character in the five previous books so I thought that it was time for the readers to get to know him better.
16. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
a) The plotlines are all imagination. The characters may just have bits and pieces of their personalities based on real people,
17. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
a) Wow, that’s a hard one. There are a lot of scenes that I like. I’d have to say the kidnapping scene in Here to Stay is one of my favorites, only because it was my first time writing something that was supposed to be heart-pounding; something to keep the reader on the edge of their seat. I’m pleased with how it turned out.
18. How did you come up with the title?
a) The titles come to me the same way that the stories do. Sometimes just out of the blue, but mostly, I think about what the story will be about and try to come up with something that fits the plot.
19. What project are you working on now?
a) Well, I’m working on Dancing in the Dark. I also have a secret project that will be announced in a couple of months.
20. If your book were made into a movie, who do you picture playing each characters part?
a) I’m kind of out of touch with the up-and-coming actors and actresses of today. If it were left up to me, I’d probably end up casting Harrison Ford as Sam. lol
21. What led you to write this book?
a) There will be eight books in the Hidden Springs series. Natural progression led me to this one.
22. Will you have a new book coming out soon?
a) I’m hoping to release Dancing in the Dark sometime this spring.
23. Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?
a) I might, sometime in the future, revisit Hidden Springs to see where the characters are in their life but for now, I’m content to leave things as they are.
24. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment
a) I can’t think of any really tough criticism that I’ve received, except maybe for a negative review. The best compliment is any time someone tells me that they’ve enjoyed one of my books.
25. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
a) Do it! Write! Learn all you can from other authors and then do it your own way. I’m not saying to disregard other peoples’ advice but it’s really easy to get caught up in comparing yourself with how others write. What works best for them may not work for you, and that’s okay. Listen to your inner voice. You know what works best for you, so take the plunge and do it!
26. Which character speaks the loudest, to you? Do any of them clamor to be heard over the others?
a) My characters don’t speak loudly to me; it’s more like their stories do. I have five story ideas competing for attention in my brain right now.
27. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
a) Thank you. I mean that; thank you for choosing my books over all of the others out there and taking the time to read them. I hope that you enjoyed them enough to feel like your time was well-spent.
28. Have you ever gone out in public with your shirt on backwards or your slippers on, and when realizing it, just said screw it?
29. Do you prefer fuzzy or tube socks?
a) Aloe socks. I have dozens.
30. Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
a) I don’t see the point. Besides, one of my dogs usually ends up rearranging the covers during the day anyway.
31. Be honest, how often do you wash your hair?
a) Daily, if I’m going out in public that day. If I’m staying in, then it might be a couple of days.
32. Do you get road rage? What pisses you off the most about other drivers?
a) Not too often but people who don’t do the speed limit, as in they drive too slowly, drives me nuts!
33. Do you go out of your way to kill bugs? Are there any that make you screech and hide?
a) My motto is, if they leave me alone, I’ll leave them alone. Except when it comes to black widow spiders. I’ll squish them every time!
Kristine has several books out for your reading enjoyment! Here are the details 🙂
HEARTS ON FIRE
Amazon – US – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGUOJD0
All Romance Ebooks – https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-abby039sheart-1720953-158.html
A CHANCE ON LOVE
Amazon – U.S. –http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LR5W690
All Romance Ebooks – https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-achanceonlove-1720954-158.html
A WILL OF HER OWN
Amazon – U.S. –http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R9PN54C
All Romance Ebooks – https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-awillofherown-1720955-158.html
Thank you so much for stopping by today, Kristine!